Engineering Service, Inc.
After the success of the first MPEG-5 LCEVC Showcase at NAB’22 in Las Vegas, a similar display was reunited the growing LCEVC ecosystem in Europe for the first time – we have an presentation of the new video standard by MPEG, MPEG-5 LCEVC – at IBC 2022.
LCEVC showcase promotes the capabilities of MPEG-5 LCEVC across multiple applications and devices, including encoders, media players, cloud transcoders, online video platforms and video SOCs.
The IBC’ demos showed practical use cases delivering LCEVC-enhanced content to TVs, mobile apps and web browsers, as well as new XR applications, all powered by the interoperating products of participating companies. These include:
- Live 2160p50 UHD streaming decoded by an existing TV chipset
- LCEVC-enabled apps decoding content on iOS, Android and Windows platforms
- LCEVC-enabled ShakaPlayer decoding LCEVC on any HTML5-capable browser
- LCEVC applied to real-time-communication applications for improved QoS and reliability
- LCEVC enabling cloud-rendered XR and gaming applications
- A photorealistic rendering of 6DoF (6 Degrees of Freedom) VR content not possible with any other available technology today
“This was a must-see showcase at IBC this year. The breadth of use cases and demos available is testimony to the growing ecosystem of support for LCEVC. This is due to the low complexity nature of the technology, which allows it to be deployed at different levels in the software decoder stack”, said Guido Meardi, CEO of V-Nova
“These showcases are fundamental to show interoperability between new solutions. We’re glad to participate and show LCEVC enhancing MainConcept codecs, up to 8K resolutions and including VVC”, said Thomas Kramer, Vice President of Strategy & Business Development, MainConcept.
« To the list of news