Engineering Service, Inc.
Announced at NAB 2016 last month, the Sony FS5 firmware version 2.0 is now is available to download the free. Firmware 2.0 is quite a substantial update as it mainly enables the 4K Raw recording to an external recorder (you still have to buy the raw license separately) and the Auto ND feature, which is killer as you can now compensate for exposure changes without affecting depth of field as you don’t have to step down the aperture or open up, which in most cases can’t really be done with high precision unless you use high end cine lenses and use wireless motors. Canon EF lenses are notorious for their stepping aperture, even though it’s done in 1/3 increments, it can still be quite jarring to the casual viewer.
Sony FS5 Firmware 2.0 details:
- The ND filter density can now be adjusted automatically.
- Shooting and recording in RAW mode is now supported. (“CBKZ-FS5RIF” (sold separately) is required)
- The zebra function has been enhanced, allowing you to select two types of setting. Also, the level settings can now be adjusted in 1% increments.
- You can now select the audio that is output in the headphones.
- You can now acquire and record position information when shooting using the GPS function.
Sony FS5 owners can download firmware 2.0 for free here.
« To the list of news